Section of Neuromedical Science, Division of Bioscience
Outline of the research
“Section of Neuromedical Science” including two units progresses researches aiming at overcoming neurodegenerative diseases and age-related diseases from respective viewpoints. Laboratory of Neuromedical Science conducts a wide range of research, from basic research to clinical research, to find epoch-making therapeutic agents for intractable Neurodegenerative diseases and to elucidate the factors controlling disease states. Laboratory of Consilienceology for Wakan-yaku conducts research based on the originality and the theories of Wakan-yaku (Japanese oriental medicines) to discover new therapeutic concepts for functional psychiatric disorders and heart diseases.
Laboratory of Neuromedical Science (Professor Chihiro Tohda; Assist. Prof. Ximeng Yang)
- Elucidation of the molecular mechanism of restoring the neuronal network for homeostasis and/or improvement of neural function.
- Traditional medicine research for developing fundamental therapeutic drugs for Alzheimer’s disease, spinal cord injury and sarcopenia.
- Molecular basis of crosstalk between the central nervous system and peripheral organs, which controls neural function.
- Clinical study aiming to develop new botanical drugs and new usage of Kampo formulas.
Laboratory of Consilienceology for Wakan-yaku (Assoc. Prof. Michihisa Tohda)
- Providing evidence for Wakan-yaku theories and supplying new research strategies based on it
- Elucidation of unique effects of Wakan-yaku closely related on physiological reactions and development of ultra-low concentration therapeutic compounds based on the theories
- Novel classification of depression based on the Wakan-yaku theories, elucidation of pathogenic mechanism, and development of new antidepressant drugs
- Development of novel Wakan-yaku prescriptions to prevent “heart failure due to the side effects by anti-cancer drugs” and “fatal recurrent myocardial infarction”